6th grade students studying culture in their core courses were supported in art class to continue considering elements of culture with the following prompt:
Imagine that you are on a spaceship exploring and searching for life in new galaxies. You crash on an unknown planet and discover a new culture.... Consider all the elements of culture and society you are investigating in your 6th grade Social Studies class and add examination of the following. Remember to be creative!
- Describe the geography and environment. What does it look like? Sound like? Feel like? Is it warm and muggy, cool and crisp? What does it smell like?
- Describe the life you find. What do the life forms look like? Are they people? How do they dress? Interact? Experience life? Experience you!
- What kinds of shelters do they live in?
- What kinds of jobs do they have? What types of tools and technologies do they use?
- What are their possessions?
- How do they travel?
- How do they communicate?
- What do they do for fun?
- What do they value or care about?