Begin with Communication Theory and Lasswell’s Model. (Lasswell Handout).
View collection of media representations of teachers from YouTube Playlists below.
Analyze and evaluate how teachers, teaching/learning, and schools are represented in these film, television, and news clips.
Describe how teachers, students, or administrators are portrayed broadly across the media; get started by generating a list of adjectives to describe the teachers.
- Are the representations realistic? Why or why not?
- What common characteristics do you notice about teaching and learning?
- Which actors/characters seem the most accurate to your personal experience in schools over the years? Why do you think so?
- Which characters seem least realistic? What makes them unrealistic?
Describe a memorable scene or clip.
- What makes it memorable?
- Is this scene realistic in its portrayal of teaching/learning? Explain why or why not...?
After Viewing, generate a definition of teaching and learning according to the media representations.